This creamy soup is comparatively low in fats and energy. Broccoli is so good for us; we should always eat as a lot of it as attainable. The baking soda within the recipe preserves the inexperienced shade of the greens.
1 pound broccoli
¼ cup butter or Good Steadiness
¾ cup diced potatoes
¾ cup diced onion
4 cups water
4 bay leaves
⅛ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, plus further for garnish
You probably have a kind of new cooking blenders by Cuisinart, this soup is even simpler to make. Sauté the onions and potatoes proper within the blender, add the water, broccoli, and baking soda, and cook dinner. Then change to mix mode. You may wish to omit the bay leaves so that you don’t should fish them out earlier than mixing.
- Peel and lower the broccoli into 2-inch items and florets. Put aside about eight florets.
- Warmth the butter in a big, heavy-bottomed soup pan. Add the potatoes and onion and cook dinner over medium warmth for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, water, bay leaves, and baking soda. Convey to a boil after which simmer for 20 minutes or till the broccoli and potatoes are tender.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook dinner for an additional 10 minutes. Enable the soup to chill barely. Take away the florets to make use of as garnishments.
- Take away the bay leaves and add the yogurt.
- Pour the soup right into a blender (or mix by hand) and whirl for 3 to 5 minutes or till easy.
- Pour into soup bowls, add the reserved florets, and swirl with the additional yogurt.
Advantages of Broccoli
Broccoli has isothiocyanates and indoles, sulfur compounds with anti-cancer actions. The lutein in broccoli helps defend your eyes as you age. Broccoli additionally accommodates superoxide dismutase (SOD), a robust antioxidant and anti inflammatory that fights free radical injury to maintain pores and skin trying younger. Calcium promotes wholesome bones and helps regulate blood stress.
This excerpt has been tailored from “The Age Fantastically Cookbook” by Grace O. To purchase this e-book, click on right here.